Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Journal #5: "Point/Counterpoint: Are Computer Labs Obsolete?" (NETS-T 3)


Parker, J. (2012). Point/counterpoint: Are computer labs obsolete?. Learning and Leading with Technology , 40(1), 12-16. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/learn/publications/learning-and-leading/issues/Point_Counterpoint_Are_Computer_L.

Summary: This article, titled “Point/Counterpoint: Are Computer Labs Obsolete?” is one that really caught my eye while I was looking at the online articles; it looked very interesting and as though it might pertain to my Ed 422 course in some way. Jessica Parker and Tim Telep, the authors, emphasize both sides of the argument while making note of many valid points for each side. The “Yes” side of the argument discusses the idea that computer labs are old “relics” that do not allow for collaboration and creativity to take place. Parker and Telep make note that there needs to be a shift in the relationship that we have with educational technology; it need to be “revolutionized.” The “No” argument focuses on the idea of lab instruction that is focused on the NETS, while allowing for the use of technology to further the content goals. They also highlight that computer labs offer an array of different learning opportunities that allow for educators to model how important technology is to their students. When instruction is given through the use of technology, in a computer lab, from a teacher who is passionate and knowledgeable in the topic, students are able to acquire valuable knowledge. 

Question #1: Could I see myself incorporating the use of computer labs into my daily instruction as a teacher?

Answer #1: I could most definitely see myself using the computer lab with my students. I am not positive that I could give my full instruction in the computer lab, but I do like the idea of incorporating the computer lab experience to continue my students’ education with technology.

Question #2: Do you believe that the use of technology can be revolutionized in the educational system?

Answer #2: I already believe that this is beginning to happen. Teachers across the world have started to incorporate modern technology to create a relationship with their students in the classroom, teaching the importance of being “tech-savvy.” This has been a huge step and I believe that it will only continue to become more relevant as the years go on in the educational system. 

No comments:

Post a Comment